Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Waking up on the wrong side of the cama

I find it miraculous that for the past two weeks, I have been able to wake up before seven a.m., leave the house by 7:30 and make it to school before 8 o´clock for my Spanish class. Hopefully I can continue this practice into next semester and make it to my 8 o´clock class on time and ready to go.
I almost forgot to write about my Costa Rican funeral experience. My señor´s (Herbert) mother died last week. My señora told me the news, and soon after, invited me to the wake. I accepted the invitation, partly in order to extend my sympathies to Herbert, and partly out of curiosity. Since the family decided to have a more traditional funeral service, they only had 24 hours to get the body in the ground before it started to, well, do what dead bodies do. Apparently, wakes are usually held almost immediately after a person passes, and last for hours. Herbert´s mother died at around 10 in the morning, and that evening, his whole family was crowded in a family member´s living room, performing the customary funerary rosary prayers. Not only were the family members crowded in the house, but the casket was placed by the front window, surrounded by candles and flowers. A piece of glass was placed in the casket; I can only imagine it was to keep the body fresh. The next morning, while I was in class, Herbert´s mother was buried, and a mass was held the following weekend.

2 comments:

  1. You get up before 7am?? I'm very impressed. Did you have appropriate black clothes for the wake?
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the spirit of pura vida that gets you out of bed, I'm sure.
    When my sister lived in Costa Rica they always held loud evangelical ceremonies in the living room. She hid in her bedroom. I'm glad you embrace them.

    ReplyDelete